Dr. Ann’s Healthy Baking Tips
My daughter Lucie loves baking healthy treats. Here are some great tips we’ve both adopted for healthier – and wildly delicious – baking:
- Substitute canola oil for shortening, stick margarine or butter. Canola oil/butter blends also acceptable.
- Use ground flax seeds, ground nuts or prepared all natural nut butters in place of bad fats (butter, stick margarine, shortening).
- Substitute pureed fruits or starchy veggies (apples, bananas, pears, squash, pumpkin) for “some” of the oil in your recipes; EX. If the recipe calls for 1 cup of oil, use ¾ cup pureed fruit or veggie as above and ¼ cup oil. Jarred baby foods are great for this purpose.
- Replace butter with yogurt
- Substitute whole wheat flour or “white” whole wheat flour ( “Ultra-grain” King Arthur Brand) for white flour.
- When reducing fat in baking recipes, use low-gluten flours (i.e. whole wheat flour, oat flour, brown rice flour) – this makes for a tenderer product.
- Use buttermilk (1% or nonfat) instead of milk or sour cream.
- Substitute plain Greek-style yogurt for sour cream.
- Substitute dark or semisweet chocolate for milk chocolate.
- Substitute pureed dates, honey, maple syrup, or molasses for sugar.
- To reduce the fat or butter in your recipes without compromising flavor( fat, especially butter, is a flavor carrier), add nuts, spices (i.e. cinnamon), instant espresso powder, coffee, cocoa powder, dried fruit, extracts (i.e. vanilla), liqueurs (i.e. amaretto), citrus zest or juice, 100% fruit butters, nut oils, or salt.
- To thicken recipes (i.e. mousse, puddings, custards), use gelatin, tapioca, or pectin instead of heavy cream.
- To moisten and add nutritional value to baked goods, mix in 100% canned pumpkin or sweet potato puree, grated raw veggies (i.e. carrots), or mashed bananas.
- Increase nutritional value by adding nuts, oats, spices, and dried unsweetened fruit.
- Don’t over bake the recipe.
Order Dr. Ann’s Book Combo (Eat Right for Life & The Cookbook Companion) and we’ll include a FREE Dr. Ann Grocery Guide in your packet!
Looking for a personalized wellness consultation?
Meet with Dr. Ann one-on-one.
Schedule your in-person or online appointment today.