Help Your Child with Weight Control
Based on the current science, here are the most effective parent and home-based strategies for preventing obesity and improving weight control in youth.
- Be a healthy role model by striving to keep your weight in a healthy range.
- Sit down for healthy family meals as often as possible and limit dining out.
- Limit your child’s screen time, especially TV, to two hours or less daily.
- Ensure that your child accumulates at least one hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity daily.
- Ensure that healthy food choices are readily available in your home and encourage your child to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and beans.
- Ensure that your child eats breakfast daily.
- Restrict your child’s access to and intake of sugary beverages (soda, fruit drinks, sports drinks, fruit juice, etc.).
- Limit your child’s access to and intake of energy-dense (high calorie) foods, especially between meals. Energy dense foods include traditional fast foods, junk foods, and sweets/desserts. Remember, if it is not there, it is not an option!
- Be sure your child gets optimal sleep.
- Allow your child to self-regulate their own food intake at meals versus pushing them to eat until the plate is empty.
- Mothers should strive to breastfeed exclusively for the first six months and thereafter as long as possible—ideally up to 12 months.
Top 5 Things a Parent Can Do to Raise a Healthy Eater
Getting Your Kids to Eat More Veggies