Why You Should Eat More Onions
Onions are an underappreciated nutrition superhero. Here are five great reasons to eat more of them.
- Onions have an exceptionally high total polyphenol content. Polyphenols are a family of potent plant antioxidants that offer broad-spectrum disease protection.
- Onions are uniquely high in quercetin. Quercetin is one of the most potent anti-inflammatory, and thus disease-fighting compounds found in Mother Nature’s apothecary.
- Onions are a standout veggie for cancer-protection, particularly for colorectal, throat, and ovarian cancer.
- Onions contain an abundance of inulin fiber, which feeds the good bacteria in our guts.
- Onions are almost calorie free, yet revered for their flavor-enhancing culinary characteristics.
The bottom line: Include them regularly in your diet – raw or cooked for a blast of flavor and health.