8 Great Reasons to Eat Eggs
Eggs are an under-appreciated economical superfood. Here are 8 reasons to enjoy them as regulars in your diet.
- Eggs have the highest quality protein of all foods. In fact, eggs are used as the “reference standard” for evaluating a food’s protein quality.
- Eggs, particularly omega 3 fortified eggs, contain healthy fats.
- Eggs provide all the B vitamins.
- Eggs are the richest food source of choline, an amino acid vitally important for brain function.
- Eggs are an excellent source of iodine and selenium, two key minerals notably hard to find in foods.
- Eggs are one of only three foods that naturally contain significant amounts of vitamin D.
- Eggs provide the most bioavailable source of the eye-protective compound lutein.
- Consuming eggs has been shown to boost HDL (good) cholesterol.
Contrary to what you may think, there is no credible evidence that consuming eggs at any level increases cardiovascular risk in healthy subjects. There is some evidence, albeit not conclusive, that eating more than 5 eggs a week in those who are diabetic may increase disease and mortality risk.