How to Boost your Potassium Intake
Many Americans do not achieve optimal levels of dietary potassium. Here are my top strategies for boosting your intake of this critical nutrient.
- Include beans in your diet each day.
- Consume plain non-fat or low-fat yogurt in your diet each day.
- Use tomato sauce or paste (low sodium) regularly in your recipes and dishes.
- Snack on nuts and seeds regularly (especially almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds).
- Include dark leafy greens in your diet each day (cooked or raw).
- Enjoy potassium-rich fruits, especially cantaloupe, peaches, pears, oranges, kiwi, apricots, and prunes.
- Include fish (not fried!) in your diet regularly.
- Eat more avocados. I strive to eat some avocado each day. ¼ to ½ is a prudent portion.
- Use black strap molasses as your sweetener of choice.