How to Get Optimal Levels of Calcium from Food
Current recommended daily calcium intakes for adults are:
1000 mg for males and females < 51
1200 mg for females 51+
If you consume three daily servings of a calcium-rich food (see below) and make a point to regularly consume green vegetables like collards, kale, turnip greens, broccoli, and cabbage you should achieve optimal intakes.
- 8 ounces low fat or non-fat yogurt (plain best)
- 1.5 ounces cheese (part skim or 2% milk best)
- 6 ounces calcium-fortified orange juice ( avoid if weight or diabetes and issue)
- 8 ounces skim or 1% milk
- 8 ounces calcium fortified soy milk
- 3 ounces sardines with bones
- ½ cup tofu made with calcium sulfate
- 3 ounces canned salmon with bones
- 1 serving calcium-fortified cereal (those providing 30% or more of daily value/serving)
JOIN OUR UPCOMING E-COURSE, EAT RIGHT FOR LIFE, & BECOME YOUR OWN EXPERT ON HEALTHY EATING!