Plain Yogurt: The Cream of the Dairy Crop
Low-fat or non-fat PLAIN yogurt is truly the cream of the dairy crop and a superstar, standout food. Here are 6 great reasons to enjoy it daily.
- Yogurt provides probiotics (beneficial bacteria) that are fundamental to gastrointestinal health as well as metabolic and immune function.
- Yogurt provides more calcium than any other food. As an added bonus, the calcium in yogurt is especially well absorbed.
- Yogurt is a great source of high quality protein, magnesium, B-vitamins, potassium, and zinc. Some brands also provide vitamin D (look for them).
- Yogurt contains a special form of vitamin K, called K2 that is particularly beneficial for bone health and cardiovascular health.
- Relative to other dairy products, yogurt is more easily digested and generally better tolerated in those who are lactose intolerant.
- In addition to protection from type 2 diabetes, evidence is promising that yogurt also helps to ward off high blood pressure, colon cancer, metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis.
SIGN UP HERE TO STAY INFORMED ABOUT MY UPCOMING E-COURSE, AND WE’LL SEND YOU A FREE GIFT!
The healthiest yogurt choice is PLAIN, organic, and low-fat or non-fat. I am a huge fan of Greek-style plain yogurt because it is so rich and creamy, and because it has double the protein (great for appetite control!) of standard yogurts. My preferred choice is the large container of Organic Stoneyfield Greek Non-fat Plain Yogurt. Stay away from flavored yogurts as most are filled with added sugar! Sweeten your plain yogurt with some berries, cut up fresh fruit, or simply add a touch of honey, molasses, sugar, or maple syrup.