Airports are filled with gut-busting temptations! For your airport travel, abide by these on-the-go principles for the flight to high health.
1. I will not enter the airport terminal famished, and I will always keep healthy hunger-fighting snacks in my carry-on bag for ready access.
2. Because I may be stressed, pressed for time, or bored, I will be keenly mindful of practicing self-control and prepared to totally ignore the siren calls of ice cream, donut, pastry, cookie, pretzel and candy shops. Additionally, I will strive to avoid stepping within “sniffing distance” of them.
3. If I need to eat a meal or pick one up to take on the plane, I will go straight to the nearest airport terminal map to review all of my dining options so I can make an informed, healthy decision. Better yet, I will plan to review the airport terminal map on the airport’s website prior to my flight departure so I will already be familiar with the locations of the better-for-me dining spots. Keep in mind some are available as mobile apps.
4. Assuming time allows, I will happily walk briskly (no use of trains or moving walkways) to the terminal that has the dining option that best provides the tasty and healthy meal I am proactively seeking.
5. I will keep the cardinal rules of healthy eating in mind when ordering to ensure my meal will be good for me.
6. If time allows and my healthcare provider has approved, I will use my time in the airport to walk briskly as part of my goal to build in at least 30 minutes of daily physical activity even when I am on the road. I will be grateful for my carry on bags that increase the effectiveness of my airport exercise regimen. Not taking advantage of the opportunities to walk in the airport is one of my biggest pet peeves. I am always amazed at the numbers of people just sitting around—in case you don’t know it, prolonged sitting is not only bad for you, but can be deadly!
For more expert wellness advice when you’re “On The Go” check out my award-winning book:
Eat Right for Life – On the Go:
Did you know Dr. Ann does private online consultations?
Meet one-on-one with Dr. Ann from the comfort of your own home.