How to Keep Your Appetite Under Wraps
KEEP IT STEADY-EDDIE!
Keeping your appetite under wraps can be as simple as maintaining your blood glucose level. Here is my best advice for preventing those hunger-driving drops in your blood glucose.
- Minimize foods known to precipitously drop your blood sugar—namely, the refined, high glycemic “Great White Hazards”—white flour products, white potatoes, white rice, and sugar/sweets. Sugary beverages, sweets, and white potatoes are the worst offenders! These three categories of carbs can actually drive blood glucose levels down below what is physiologically normal. Eating these “bad carbs” can perpetuate the vicious cycle of low glucose > cravings > more bad carbs > low glucose > more cravings, etc.
- Eat three meals daily with a mid-afternoon snack. Eating the right foods is what sustains a normal blood glucose level. It’s especially important to always eat breakfast, as skipping breakfast has been associated with increased food cravings.
- Be sure to have some healthy protein at each meal. Protein provides a stable and more prolonged blood glucose level. If you are hungry (a dead ringer indicator of low blood glucose) within 2 1⁄2 hours of a meal, you likely did not eat enough protein. A reasonable amount to aim for is 20 to 25 grams per meal.
- Regularly include the super nutritious and healthy “slower carbs” in your meals—physically intact whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies (not white potatoes). Because of their lack of processing and high ber content they provide a more stable blood glucose response.
- Avoid artificially sweetened beverages, especially all by themselves. Artificial sweeteners are exquisitely sweet substances that may trigger the release of insulin, which lowers blood sugar!
We are thrilled to announce the upcoming launch of my Healthy Living School.
Stay tuned for more information by signing up for my weekly emails:
Simply hit the “Sign Up” button on our homepage,