5 Reasons to Eat More Berries
Berries are one of my top-rated fruits and a food I strive to include in my diet every day. Here are 5 great reasons to join me!
- Berries are a great source of fiber and vitamin C. Raspberries have more fiber per serving than any other fruit.
- Berries are a supreme food for brain health and have been shown to reverse signs of aging in the brain and improve memory.
- Berries protect the heart. In one large study, a daily serving of berries reduced the risk of heart attacks by 32%.
- Berries are teeming with uniquely powerful plant pigments called anthocyanins. These red/blue/purple pigments are among the most sensational anti-inflammatory weapons in Mother Nature’s arsenal. (Remember inflammation is the “universal” driver of chronic diseases.)
- Relative to other fruits, berries have a low glycemic response. (I.e. blood sugar levels rise just modestly). This makes them an especially good choice for diabetics and those who struggle with weight control.
Berries can be eaten fresh or frozen. Large containers of frozen berries are available from Wholesale grocers like Costco and are especially convenient and a great bargain. Thaw them in the microwave to maximize their antioxidants.