5 Slimming Reasons to Enjoy a Salad as Your Appetizer
Including a tossed salad as a pre-meal appetizer is a delicious and super-nutritious means to help you eat less. In fact, if you dress your salad with a little olive-oil based vinaigrette, this simple mealtime tactic can rein in your appetite through five separate means:
- The bulkiness of the lettuce and raw veggies rapidly fills the stomach and acutely reduces appetite, and subsequent mealtime intake.
- The fat from the olive oil slows stomach emptying, which keeps you feeling fuller longer.
- The oleic acid in the olive oil triggers a rapid and robust release of the “feel-full” hormone, CCK.
- The vinegar’s acetic acid slows digestion, reducing the glycemic response of mealtime carbs, and it kicks up your metabolism a bit.
- The raw vegetables require lots of chewing which prolongs the time food engages with the mouth leading to greater orosensory satiety.