< back to the wellness blog

March 12, 2018 • Healthy Living

Anti-Aging Tips

aging anti

One of the most glorious realities of modern medical science has been the recognition that we have enormous control over the rate at which we age.

Indeed, only about 25% of the process is dictated by your genes – which means the remaining 75% is largely determined by YOU and the dietary and lifestyle choices you make over your lifetime.

The 4 key facets to triumph on the anti-aging front are:

1.) Maximizing flood flow (healthy arteries)

2.) Minimizing oxidation

3.) Minimizing inflammation

4.) Maintaining insulin sensitivity

What follows are the most effective strategies for achieving success.  As an added bonus, these age-defying interventions will not only add years to your life but life to your years!

1) Strictly avoid trans fats and oxidized fats. Both are potent drivers of inflammation and oxidation, clog arteries and impair insulin sensitivity. Trans fats are found in processed foods containing partially hydrogenated oils, margarine, and shortening. Oxidized fats can be found in deep-fried foods, smoking oil, and rancid (stale) oils/fats.

2) Minimize consumption of omega 6 oils – corn, safflower, sunflower, cottonseed, peanut and soybean oil.  Please note that these oils are frequently found in margarine, mayo, salad dressing and other processed foods. These oils promote inflammation in your body by raising the omega 6/omega3 ratio. Instead, use canola oil and olive oil, both are low in omega 6 fatty acids.

3) Minimize your intake of arachidonic acid. Red meat and whole dairy products are the richest dietary sources of this potent, pro-inflammatory substance.

4) Maximize your intake of omega 3 fats.  Consume oily fish (salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel, anchovies, herring, lake trout), walnuts, canola oil, whole soy foods, flax seeds, wheat germ and omega 3 eggs regularly.  Omega 3 fatty acids have potent anti-inflammatory properties, promote insulin sensitivity, and provide 7 separate benefits to your arteries!

5) Eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible.  Fruits and veggies contain potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals.  They are also beneficial for blood flow and insulin sensitivity.The anti-aging superstars include red onions, tomatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, red bell peppers, garlic, dark leafy greens, apples, red grapes, berries, pomegranates, cherries, oranges, and plums.

Animal and vegetable sources of omega-3 acids as salmon, avocado, linseed, eggs, butter, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, parsley leaves and rapeseed oil

6) Regularly enjoy the “other” anti-aging superstars: extra virgin olive oil, freshly brewed tea, dark chocolate, red wine, and pomegranate juice. Like fruits and veggies, they are teeming with potent antioxidants.

7) Use rosemary, ginger, turmeric, and curry regularly in food preparation.  They contain some of the most potent anti-inflammatory compounds nature offers, and are helpful in maintaining insulin sensitivity.

8) Do your carbs right! Minimize consumption of the highly refined, high glycemic index “Great White Hazards” – white flour, white rice, white potatoes, sugar, and products containing them. High glycemic carbs can promote inflammation, insulin resistance, and impair blood flow. Consume the majority of your carbohydrate calories from the following 4 categories: whole grains, beans/legumes, fruits, and vegetables (the “right carbs”).

9) Maintain an optimal weight. Excess body fat promotes inflammation and insulin resistance and is bad for arterial health. Weight loss has been shown to reduce markers of inflammation in the body and improve insulin sensitivity.

10) Exercise regularly the rest of your life. This is the single most powerful anti-aging strategy available – regular physical activity is the real fountain of youth! “Perfect program” – what you know you can do on most days of the week the rest of your life. “Idealized program” – 30 minutes or more of aerobic activity on 5 or more days a week, combined with 10-20 minutes or more of resistance exercise (weights) 2-3 times a week. The more, the better!

Join us on Saturday, June 2nd for a half-day wellness seminar at The Schoolhouse!

First 25 registrants: $100

Regular price: $120

Half Day Seminar Schoolhouse Program

Purchase Dr. Ann’s Book Combo and we’ll include a FREE, laminated Dr. Ann Grocery Guide ($10 value) in your order!

Books Special