April 13, 2022 •
Best Foods for Lowering Cholesterol
Today I want to share the best foods for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels or lowering a high cholesterol level.
Over half of Americans have elevated cholesterol levels so please make note of these foods – many of which are simply scrumptious.
- Nuts – any variety
- Seeds – any variety, especially flax and chia seeds
- Beans, peas, or lentils – any variety, in any form
- Plain Old-Fashioned or steel cut oats
- Oat bran
- Whole soy foods: soy milk, tofu, tempeh, edamame, soy nuts aka dried edamame
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Oily fish like salmon, tuna, sardines and trout
- Green or white tea – loose leaf or bagged
- Apples; and
- Dark leafy greens – any variety
All of these foods have been shown in clinical studies to help lower unhealthy cholesterol. Remember, you can print out the text version of this tip for future reference.
I remind you of this because people are constantly asking me what the best foods for lowering cholesterol are!
Everyone, even small children, love this dish. It is definitely one of my personal favorites, especially in the summer.
- 2 cans black beans (GOYA best), rinsed
- 1 small can shoe peg corn, rinsed
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Very liberal splash or two of seasoned of rice vinegar (or more to taste)
- 2-3 Tbls olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 seeded cucumber, diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dash of Tabasco (optional)
Mix all ingredients together in a large salad bowl and let sit for a bit to let flavors marry.