Why Exercise Is so Powerful for Weight Loss
Exercise is simply stellar for weight control. Check out all the different ways exercise can help you stay lean!
- Exercise burns calories.
- Exercise enhances insulin sensitivity (insulin action) which boosts calorie burning potential.
- Exercise builds lean body mass (muscle). The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn. Muscles burn fat very effectively and are ultimately what burn about 70% of the total calories you consume.
- Exercise reduces stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety can be powerful triggers for “emotional eating” and binging.
- Exercise improves sleep quality and duration. Poor sleep increases appetite and cravings for junk foods. Good sleep improves energy levels and the likelihood that you will exercise or move.
- Exercise directly boosts metabolism. Moderate to vigorous exercise provides a transient (2-5 hours) increase in calorie burning potential.
- Exercise improves the activity of brain cells involved in appetite regulation.
- Exercise improves the release of appetite suppressive hormones in the gastrointestinal tract and the brain’s sensitivity to them.