Boosting Brain Power – Feed Your Brain the Right Fats
The type of fat in your diet has a profound impact on the structure, function, and health of your brain.
- Enjoy Omega-3 fats in abundance. They can be found in oily fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, and sardines), walnuts, canola oil, flaxseeds, omega-3 eggs, wheat germ and small leafy greens, make up the majority of the solid structure of your brain.
- Strive to have one or more servings daily!
- In addition, omega-3 fats promote healthy blood flow and minimize excessive inflammation, two other very valuable brain benefits.
- Regularly consume the monounsaturated fats too – extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, nuts/seeds and avocados.
- These fats promote healthy blood flow to the brain and decrease the risk of insulin resistance (insulin resistance compromises brain health).
- They also benefit the structural integrity of neuronal cell membranes.
- Minimize saturated fats (fatty cuts of beef, pork and lamb, whole dairy products, butter, palm and coconut oils)
- Both are “brain-busting” fats that can impair memory and learning in addition to impairing blood flow and increasing your risk of insulin resistance.
Click the image above to see our combo special: two of my award-winning books plus a free laminated grocery shopping guide!