7 Reasons to Include More Vegetable-Based Proteins In Your Diet
Substituting some of your animal-based proteins with vegetable-based proteins is a wise thing to do. By making this swap, you can enjoy your protein along with:
- A much smaller carbon footprint
- Zero cholesterol
- Negligible to zero saturated fats
- Beneficial fiber
- A higher nutrient density
- Fewer calories
The best plant-based sources of protein include: beans/legumes, nuts, seeds, quinoa, and whole soy foods.
Colorful Asian Salad with Baked Sesame Ginger Tofu
The vivid, yet opposing colors and flavors in this salad are simply sublime. It is easy to prepare and pairs beautifully with fresh sweet corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes.
- 6 servings baked sesame ginger tofu (I like Nasoya brand) *Sub or add chicken if desired!
- 1 cup of chopped purple cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 peeled and seeded cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbs of light soy sauce
- 2 tbs of seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 ½ tbs of chili oil
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- 1 ½ tbs chili pepper flakes
- Salt to taste (I do not use any because the soy sauce has enough for my palate)
Dice tofu. In big salad bowl, combine tofu with cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, cucumber, and cilantro. In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for the dressing and whisk together until blended. Pour dressing over tofu and vegetables and toss well.
JOIN OUR UPCOMING E-COURSE, EAT RIGHT FOR LIFE, & BECOME YOUR OWN EXPERT ON HEALTHY EATING!