I consider beans to be the most underutilized superfood. Here are 7 compelling reasons to include them in your diet every day.
- Beans have megawatt nutritional power. They provide a hefty dose of vegetable protein, more fiber and folate than any other food group, a load of potent antioxidant flavonoids, and key minerals including iron, potassium, and magnesium.
- Beans fill you up without filling you out. Their high fiber and protein make-up provides a powerful 1-2 punch for appetite suppression, while their difficult-to-digest starch keeps your glucose and insulin levels lower and more steady.
- Beans provide awesome disease protection. Enjoying them regularly can lower your cardiovascular risk, lower your cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, lower your risk of type 2 diabetes, and provide protection from colon and breast cancer.
- Beans are cheap. You can get a serving of beans for as little as 9 cents.
- Beans are convenient. Enjoy them canned, fresh, frozen, or dried. All 24 varieties are great for you.
- Beans are versatile – bean dips, bean soups, beans in your salads, beans in your burritos, beans in your rice, beans as a side dish – whatever suits your fancy.
- Beans may help your live longer. They are a cornerstone in the diets of all the world’s longest living inhabitants, including the 7th Day Adventists of Loma Linda, Cal., the Nicoyans of Costa Rica, the Sardinians of Italy, and the Okinawans of Japan.