Maintaining Healthy Body Weight | Dr. Ann Tips
I was blessed to discover the joys of healthy living at a young age and have been hooked ever since. I also know that there is no way I could speak to people with the heart, passion, energy and authenticity it takes to compel them to improve their health behaviors unless I practice what I preach. What follows are the practices I personally use to live life.
- I eat a massive amount of whole plant foods each day. Fruits—especially berries, citrus, and apples; veggies—especially dark leafy greens, broccoli, bell peppers, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, onions, and avocados; beans/peas/legumes—most days.
- I exercise daily and include a variety of activities—running, swimming, spinning, walking, and yoga.
- I never drink any sugary beverages, including 100% fruit juice.
- I weigh myself at least weekly and immediately take action (mostly tweak diet) if I see the scale budge upwards by even 1 or 2 pounds.
- I rarely watch TV.
- I work at a stand-up desk.
- I rarely (no more than once a week) eat sweets/dessert foods other than my 2 squares of 86% or higher dark chocolate (which I include everyday).
- I never (ever!) eat traditional fast food.
- I rarely eat any form of refined carbohydrate foods, but include at least 2-3 servings of physically intact whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, etc.) daily.
- I rarely eat bread or any flour-based foods, including 100% whole grain or whole-wheat products.
- I use extra virgin olive oil in most of my food preparations.
- I do not consume or use any sugar substitutes.
- I eat at least one handful of nuts and/or seeds each day (a wide variety).
- I drink 4 ounces of red wine each night (occasionally a bit more—not that this is any healthier, but just being honest).
- I rarely eat white potatoes, but eat lots of sweet potatoes.
- I eat lots of fish and seafood (especially salmon), modest amounts of poultry and eggs, and small amounts of lean red meat (mostly venison).
- I rarely eat processed or manufactured foods.
- I eat organic plain Greek-style yogurt sweetened with fresh fruit and/or a bit of black strap molasses each day.
- With the exception of eggs and fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir), I only eat plant-based foods at breakfast and lunch.
- I cook most everyday and rarely dine out with the exception of during my business travel.
- I meditate (contemplative prayer) at least 20 minutes everyday.
- I get 7 hours of quality sleep most nights.
- I strive to spend time outdoors in the sun each day.
Most importantly—all of the above adds immense pleasure, happiness, and gratification to my life, which may be the most valuable health benefit of all!
Here are my current metabolic/health measures (I am 58 and take no prescription medications):
- BMI 19
- Waist Circumference 27 ½ inches
- Triglycerides 27
- LDL cholesterol 91
- HDL cholesterol 93
- Blood Pressure 105/60
- Fasting blood glucose 87
If I can do this, I know you can too!