Improve Sleep with Exercise
If you want to improve your sleep – get moving! In a new poll conducted by the National Sleep Foundation – the results were compelling – exercise is fantastic for sleep. Highlights from this evaluation included the following… (National Sleep Foundation, news release, March 4, 2013)
- People who engaged in any level of exercise were much more likely to report a good night’s sleep every night or most every night vs. those who did not exercise.
- 75% of the exercisers reported very good or fairly good sleep quality vs. 56% in non-exercisers.
- Vigorous exercisers had the best overall sleep quality with the least insomnia-related issues.
- Those sitting less than eight hours a day were twice as likely to report very good sleep quality vs. those sitting more than eight hours a day.
- Non-exercisers were more than three times as likely to report sleep apnea symptoms as vigorous exercisers and about twice as likely to report excessive daytime sleepiness.