I consider extra virgin olive oil to be the healthiest of all oils. Here’s why:
1) Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) protects the heart and arteries through many ways including lowering bad (LDL) cholesterol and raising good (HDL) cholesterol.
2) As oils go, EVOO is uniquely high in potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds called polyphenols. Polyphenols provide broad- spectrum disease protection in addition to slowing aging and diminishing pain. Refined olive oils (the “non-extra virgin” brands) do not contain significant amounts of polyphenols.
3) EVOO provides a greater sense of satiety (more “fullness”) than other oils.
4) Relative to other oils, EVOO allows for the highest absorption of fat-soluble nutrients. Fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A, E, and D require the presence of fat to be absorbed into the body.
5) Last, but not least, for lowering disease risk—including heart disease, Alzheimer’s, Type 2 diabetes, depression, and metabolic syndrome—no other diet pattern on the planet has garnered the volume of evidenced-based scientific rigor behind it than the traditional Mediterranean Diet. And EVOO is the oil of choice in this delicious and healthy manner of eating.
For more expert wellness advice, order Dr. Ann’s award-winning book combo:
Eat Right for Life and the Cookbook Companion and
we’ll include a FREE Dr. Ann Grocery Guide in your order.